Friday, March 9, 2018

Review: Dress Like a Woman: Working Women and What They Wore by Abrams Books

Title: Dress Like a Woman: Working Women and What They Wore
Author: Abrams Books
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Abrams Books
Publish Date: February 27, 2018
Source: PR 



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Dress Like a Woman turns that question on its head by sharing a myriad of interpretations across history. The book includes more than 240 incredible photographs that illustrate how women’s roles have changed over the last century. The women pictured in this book inhabit a fascinating intersection of gender, fashion, politics, culture, class, nationality, and race. You’ll see some familiar faces, including trailblazers Shirley Chisholm, Amelia Earhart, Angela Davis, Georgia O’Keeffe, and Michelle Obama, but the majority of photographs are of ordinary working women from many backgrounds and professions. Pioneering scientists and mathematicians, leading civil rights and feminist activists, factory workers and lumberjacks, stay-at-home moms and domestic workers, and artists and musicians; all express their individual style and dress to get the job done."

My Two Cents:

"Dress Like a Woman" is a perfect book to read for Women's History Month. It is a gorgeous book filled with pictures of women at work. Historically (and sometimes still in the present day), women have had to fight in order to be included in the workforce. Women have a huge role in making the world go around and this book celebrates that! Being a working woman, I loved seeing pictures of those who have come before me in order to allow me to do what I want to do with my career.

Although most of the pictures that it includes focuses on American women, there are still a bunch of photos dedicated to other parts of the world. I loved seeing the differences between women around the world and between women of different times. This is truly a beautiful book!


 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like the kind of book I would love. I love history, especially women's history. I'm going to add this book to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting! I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting and I enjoyed your review.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...