Friday, March 25, 2016

Review: The Good Sister by Jamie Kain

Title: The Good Sister
Author: Jamie Kain
Format: Paperback
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publish Date: December 8, 2015
Source: Publisher



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "The Kinsey sisters live in an unconventional world. Their parents are former flower-children who still don't believe in rules. Their small, Northern California town is filled with free spirits and damaged souls seeking refuge from the real world. Without the anchor of authority, the three girls are adrift and have only each other to rely on.

Rachel is wild. Asha is lost. Sarah, the good sister, is the glue that holds them together. But the forces of a mysterious fate have taken Sarah's life in a sudden and puzzling accident, sending her already fractured family into a tailspin of grief and confusion. Asha has questions. Rachel has secrets. And Sarah, waking up in the afterlife, must piece together how she got there."


My Two Cents:

"The Good Sister" is the story of three sisters who are all adrift. Sarah is dead, which has left Asha and Rachel searching for answers. This is the story of the sisterly bond, a bond like none other, and family secrets. Some secrets bring people closer together, others have the uncanny ability to instantly tear them apart.

I love stories about sisters. Having two of my own, I am drawn to books that explore that bond. The relationship between the three sisters in this book is so wrought with complication that it took me awhile to get into what was going on between the sisters. Add to that, Sarah is speaking from beyond the grave, which added another layer of complication to the story. There is a lot going on here which held me away from the core of the story for the beginning of the book. Eventually, I began to feel more invested as the mystery of Sarah's death was unraveled.

The writing of the book is what kept me reading. I really liked the way that the author was able to create a different voice for each sister. It added a lot of interest to the story line to see how they were each processing things differently. While the story line was not my favorite, I did enjoy the author's writing a lot and look forward to reading more!
  


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...