Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Virginia Woolf's Garden by Caroline Zoob

Title: Virginia Woolf's Garden
Author: Caroline Zoob
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Jacqui Small LLP
Publish Date: November 1, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a non-fiction fan.
  • You're a garden fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "A chronological account takes the reader through the key events in the lives of Virginia and Leonard Woolf, and their deaths. This is allied to an account of the garden and its development, and the creation and development of the key areas of the garden. A wonderful selection of full-colour contemporary photographs, archive photographs, illustrated maps and planting plans take the reader through the various garden ‘rooms’, including the Italian Garden, the  Millstone garden, the Orchard, the Vegetable Garden, the Terrace, the Walled Garden, the Fishpond Garden and the Greenhouses and Conservatories. Throughout there are quotations from Virginia and Leonard’s diaries, giving a vivid account of their plans for, views on and activities in the garden."

My Two Cents:

"Virginia Woolf's Garden" is a gorgeous book filled with beautiful pictures of Virginia Woolf's garden. After reading this book, I have a feeling that I know where Ms. Woolf got some of her inspiration from. It would be hard not to be inspired while living in such gorgeous surroundings. One interesting thing about this book is that the author actually lived in the house where Ms. Woolf and her husband once walked so in a way, you almost get an insider point of view of the gardens and the house.

Zoob gives us insight into Virginia Woolf and her husband. I loved learning about their lives together and their lives in the house. This book is truly beautiful and I know that it is definitely a book that I am going to want to go back to over and over again. I really liked that the author included maps of what exactly was planted in all of the various gardens. I loved being able to see what plants Woolf put together and it really helped me to picture what the gardens looked like.

Even if you don't know much about Woolf before reading this book, this book may be a good jumping off point for you. I believe that you can learn so much from someone's surroundings! Overall, this is a great book.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...