Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publish Date: December 10, 2013
Source: Netgalley






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a YA fiction fan.
  • You're a sci-fi fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it."


My Two Cents:

Okay, first, let me just get this out of the way, "These Broken Stars" has one of the most gorgeous covers out of any other 2013 release. The gorgeous cover did not factor into my review but I had to say something because the cover is to die for. Not to worry, the story is pretty stand-up as well. This book is a sci-fi love story of Lilac, the daughter of the richest man in the universe, and Tarver, a guy who comes from lowly beginnings. If things had stayed normal, they never would have been running in the same circles but when tragedy strikes and they are thrown together to brave a new world, they fall hard for each other. I loved this love story!

The book is told from the point of both Lilac and Tarver, which I thought worked really well in this book. The characters come from very different worlds, which means that they have very different values and beliefs. It was really interesting to me to read about how they were able to reconcile things between each other. Because the book is written in the first person point of view, you also don't get all of the information at once, which as much as I wanted to know more, I enjoyed being able to figure out what was going on with this brand new planet as Lilac and Tarver figured it out.

I really liked the sci-fi elements of this book. I had been craving more sci-fi in my reading diet and this book definitely fit the bill in that regard. The first part of the book is very much action oriented and then the action sort of falls away for a little bit so that we really get to know the characters well and see what they were going through.

This book is the first book in a planned series. Because there is a cliffhanger at the end, I am anxiously awaiting reading the next installation of the series. I actually wish that I had been able to hold off reading this book for a little bit longer as I really want the next book to come out now!!! I hate waiting... Overall, this book has action and romance and I really liked it!


  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome read! Every now and then I get a serious hankering for some YA sci-fi, and this would certainly fit the bill. And yes, that cover is beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...