Sunday, September 1, 2013

Review: Love Italian Food by Maddalena Caruso

Title: Love Italian Food: Recipes for friends and family from a home in Asolo
Author: Maddalena Caruso
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Jacqui Small LLP
Publish Date: September 1, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a foodie.
  • You're an armchair traveler.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Maddalena Caruso’s stunning Italian home provides the backdrop for this supremely beautiful guide to seasonal Italian food and a relaxed Mediterranean lifestyle.

Love Italian Food follows the course of the year from spring to winter, with each season sub-divided thematically. The Spring chapter consists of Spring Cooking, Asparagus and Lunch with Roses; Summer features include Kitchen Garden, Figs and Sunny Summer Colour; Autumn is divided into Garden Harvest, Autumn Comfort, Vineyard Picnic, Pomegranates and Jam Session; Winter brings Cosy Celebration with Friends, Radicchio, All Sorts of Cabbages and Sunday Brunch. Throughout, the sumptuous reportage-style photography transports the reader to a world where family and friends come together to enjoy the bounty of the seasons. They may be sitting al fresco enjoying the first warmth of the sun’s spring rays, gathered at a table set in the middle of the herb garden in summer, entertaining a crowd in the orchard at harvest time, or seated round a table glowing with candles for a cosy winter celebration. Wherever they are and at whatever time of year, readers are invited to join them."


My Two Cents:

Guys, it's been awhile since I've been able to get away on a vacation. This book made me ready to jump on the next plane to Italy. Part cookbook, part visual feast for the eyes, this book will make you want to move to Italy (specifically to Maddalena Caruso's gorgeous kitchen where you will want to set up shop either in her sunny kitchen or in her beautiful garden and live there forever and ever). This cookbook is one that I'm incredibly excited to welcome to my cookbook collection.

The recipes look absolutely awesome. Italian is one of my very favorite kinds of cuisine because it's so tasty and also it relies heavily on only the freshest ingredients (more about that later). The difficulty of the recipes very from really easy to intermediate. I have so many of the recipes marked that I want to try at some point!

One of the features that I really liked about this book is that it's broken by seasons and has a focus on seasonal produce. One of the things that I've loved this summer is finally having a garden to play in. It's so nice to be able to go and pick fresh produce to cook with. I love cookbooks that have a focus on cooking fresh. That being said, even if you don't have a garden of your own, you'll still appreciate the book's use of whole ingredients!

The other treat in the book (besides the food) are all of the gorgeous pictures. There are pictures of almost every recipe that really make me want to lick the pages (I won't; the book is too gorgeous). There are also gorgeous pictures of Ms. Caruso's house, which looks absolutely wonderful to me.

Overall, this is a great book for anyone looking for a beautiful introduction to fresh Italian fare.


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...