Sunday, September 8, 2013

Review: Hyde by Laura DeLuca

Title: Hyde
Author: Laura DeLuca
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Pagan Writers Press
Publish Date: July 28, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a YA fan.
  • You like mysteries.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Rebecca Hope has looked death in the face twice and lived to tell her tale.

She and the love of her life, Justyn Patko, land a summer internship at a local dinner theater, performing the musical Hyde. While they are excited about their first paid acting gig, they soon find themselves surrounded by more experienced cast mates, jealous of their success. As if the tension isn’t bad enough, they soon discover that the business might be a front for something much more sinister.

When Justyn is accused of a crime that she knows he would never commit, Rebecca must decide if she wants to follow her head or her heart. While trying to prove his innocence, she makes a shocking discovery of her own.

Everyone has something to conceal in the grand finale of the Dark Musicals Trilogy. Rebecca has to look beyond the façade to discover the true Hyde or face her final curtain call."


My Two Cents:

This is the end, this is the end, my friend. Sigh, I can't believe this book is the end of the Dark Musicals trilogy. I read this book with a lot of trepidation because I really hate when a book series that I've really liked ends. It's hard to say goodbye but as the infamous saying goes, "all good things must come to an end." What I can tell you, is that this book was a fantastic ending to this trilogy.

Okay, so this is the last book in the trilogy. Do you need to read the other two books? No, you don't but you really should. DeLuca does a good job of reminding readers what happened in the previous books without this book having parts that feel like simply a rehash of the previous two books. That being said, you should read the first two books because this is just a really fun trilogy.

As with "Phantom" and "Demon," Hyde focuses on a murder mystery. Justyn and Rebecca score awesome jobs as the lead in a local dinner theater's production of Hyde and they think it's going to be great. Quickly they realize that once again, not everything is as it seems. Because Justyn and Becca are smart, they're able to slowly unravel the mystery of what the theater may actually be a front for.

This is definitely a book that will keep you turning the pages. I've loved these characters and I've loved the mystery in each of these books. I love being surprised by twists and turns and "Hyde" is definitely full of them! I'm sad to say goodbye to this series but I'm excited to see what else Ms. DeLuca comes up with!



 Reviews of Other Books in This Series:

1 comment:

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...