Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review: The Curtain Falls and Other Stories by David Wesley Hill

Title: The Curtain Falls and Other Stories
Author: David Wesley Hill
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Temurlone Press
Publish Date: April 20, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a sci-fi fan.
  • You're a fantasy fan.
  • You like short stories.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Award winning science fiction and fantasy stories from internationally acclaimed author David Wesley Hill."

My Two Cents:

"The Curtain Falls and Other Stories" is a collection of short stories. Most of the stories fall into the science fiction realm, some of them fall in the fantasy realm. This was a fairly good collection. It's been awhile since I've read any sci-fi so this book was a fairly good foray back into the genre.

Some of the stories fit together and others are truly standalone. I had a little bit of trouble trying to decide if all of the stories fit together since some of them clearly fit together while others did not. It was a little bit confusing and a tiny bit distracting.

I definitely liked some of the stories better than others. My favorite was the story where the title of the book is taken from. The premise is that the sun has gotten terribly close to Earth. If you go outside, you run the risk of very quickly getting sunburned. Many people suffer from skin cancer and the world isn't a great place to live. Also, any body part is available for a price. I thought this story was definitely the most vivid story. You can feel what the sun must feel like. The part about the body sales was especially vivid. I think Hill did a great job with this story in particular. I think that it can be really difficult to describe a world in such a short amount of space but Hill does it with ease in this story.

Overall, I enjoyed these stories. Sci-fi is oh so satisfying!


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...