Saturday, July 6, 2013

Review: The 25,000 Mile Love Story by Serge And Nicole Roetheli

Title:  The 25,000 Mile Love Story
Author: Serge And Nicole Roetheli
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Dunham Books
Publish Date: December 18, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the PR; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a non-fiction fan.
  • You're a memoir fan.
  • You're an armchair traveler.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "The 25,000 Mile Love Story is a love storybut not a love story in the traditional sense. It is not just about a man and woman; nor is it just about a husband and wife. There are many people who can write that story. Instead, this is a love story that has lasted a lifetime a love for the worlds roads and all the people who inhabit them. You will follow Serge Roetheli through his childhood as an adventurer, through his teen years as a boxer, and through his adult life as a runner and mountain guide. As he writes in this intriguing memoir, You will sit by my side as I fell in love not once, not twice, but three times. And you will run the road with me on The American Challenge and The World Tour. Then, you will return with me to where I belong, and I pray that you will take away some life lessons and the truth I have come to know so well. His life lessons are simple: It doesn't matter where you come from or what you start with. Possessing more or less doesn't ensure happiness or even victory.

You cannot win the race overnight; you win it by persistence by daily devotion. And you win it by doing the little things well."


My Two Cents:

Serge and Nicole are incredibly interesting people. This book is their memoir. Told by Serge, this fairly slim book covers their around the world running tour for charity. Serge ran and Nicole rode a motorcycle and carted all of their supplies.

It's amazing to think that Serge runs all over the world. There's a great passage in the book where Serge points out that he may only run 30 miles in a day but if he can get up and do that every day, all of those miles start to add up and turn into something really significant. I think that's a really good philosophy about so many things in life. Keep going and eventually those relatively small steps turn into huge things.

As I mentioned, this book is very short so there isn't a lot of detail. I found myself yearning for more detail about where Serge and Nicole go and who they met. I wanted to get a better sense of what they saw. I also wanted to know more about their charity work. These details really could draw the reader in a little bit more, I think. The addition of pictures was nice but I wanted to know more about some of the pictures as well. Each picture only has a small caption.

While I am not a runner, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's amazing to read about someone who accomplished such a great feat.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...