Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Muy Bueno by Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, Evangelina Soza

Title: Muy Bueno
Author: Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, Evangelina Soza
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Hippocrene books
Publish Date: October 1, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the PR; however, this did not affect my review:






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a non-fiction fan.
  • You're a foodie.
  • You love to cook.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Sintate a comer, esta muy bueno! {Sit down and eat, its very good!} This was how Jesusita Mendias-Soza always welcomed guests to her table. The same words served as inspiration for her daughter Evangelina and granddaughters Yvette and Veronica, who wanted to honor her memory and preserve their familys recipes and stories for future generations. They started the Muy Bueno Cookbook blog in 2010 with this idea in mind, and quickly attracted thousands of fans and followers who fell in love with Muy Buenos flavorful Mexican recipes, heartwarming family stories, and beautiful photography. Now they open their hearts and kitchens to an even wider audience in their first cookbook. Spanning three generations, Muy Bueno offers over 100 recipes: traditional old-world northern Mexican recipes from Jesusitas kitchen; comforting south of the border home-style dishes from Evangelina; and innovative Latin fusion recipes from Yvette and Veronica. Also includes a chile glossary with photos, step-by-step instructions for roasting chiles, making tamales, and red chile sauce."

My Two Cents:

Both my husband and I enjoy cooking and we both really like cooking and we love exploring new cuisines together. One of my personal favorite cuisines is Mexican. I've had a couple chances to travel to various places in Mexico and the food has been one of the stand out experiences for me. When I had a chance to take a look at this book, I was very excited.

"Muy Bueno" is filled with absolutely gorgeous pictures and lovely recipes. I also really like the family story behind this book. All of the recipes that I've gotten from various family members are incredibly important to me and I love how this family was able to put all of these recipes and the stories behind the food.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to make any of the recipes yet but I know once my garden is ready to be harvested, this cookbook is definitely going to come in handy. I really liked how there was a focus on using super fresh ingredients! There are so many that I want to try. I'm especially excited about the tamales and all of the different salsas.

All in all, this is a great addition to my massive cookbook collection!


 

1 comment:

  1. I love Mexican food, too, so I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...