Friday, February 1, 2013

Author Interview and Book Trailer: Brittany Geragotelis

Today I'm happy to welcome Brittany Geragotelis, author of What the Spell, a book that I really enjoyed here for an interview and to show off the spiffy new book trailer for What the Spell! Welcome, Brittany!


1. Where did you get your inspiration for What the Spell? 

 My inspiration for What the Spell? actually came from my book, Life's a Witch. I wrote LAW for an online writing site called Wattpad, to see if I could create a fanbase online. The idea of LAW came about when I began to think about the Salem Witch Trials and wondered, "What if those who were accused back then, really were witches? And what if their accusers were really members of their own coven?" And then things just started to form from there. So, when I decided to write What the Spell?, I wanted it to be a prequel/spin-off to LAW and deal with a character we might meet in the future. So, that one dealt with Brooklyn, who's a twitch (teen witch) who's just coming into her powers. She's a nobody at her school and she's sick of being invisible, so she decides to give herself a magical makeover so she can get in with the popular crowd called "The Elite."

2. Why do you think the Salem witch trials are still so interesting to readers? 

That whole time period is interesting, because you can hardly believe that people could be so hateful and fearful and close-minded to accuse people of witchcraft and then kill them for it, with literally no proof of a crime. And we're all so quick to say that times have changed, but even now, when anyone is different than the norm, they're often persecuted. Maybe they're not hanged for it, but it can become a sort of witch hunt. And then, I think magic and witches and spell-casting is always going to be interesting to people, especially kids and teens. It's the element of mystical mystery and magic we wish we could bring to our own lives.

3. Who is your favorite character in What the Spell and why?

I think I feel a special kinship with the main character, Brooklyn. She hasn't had a great high school experience and neither did I. I was bullied a lot and felt completely and utterly alone. Even when I had a few friends. People can be really horrible at that age and it's hard to feel like life will ever get any better. Brooklyn felt the same, but with her, it was like she was invisible. So, her motivation through the whole book is to change things so that people notice her and she can fit in somewhere. Even though she goes about it in the wrong ways and makes bad decisions to get there, I understand her desire to connect with her peers.

4. Can you give us a taste of what's in store for your next book, Life's a Witch?

Omigosh, LAW is a total adventure. It's loosely based on the Salem Witch Trials, so there's a lot of details in there that are based on truth. But the book is full of danger, action, fight scenes, love, magic and drama. It's everything you want in a great paranormal action book! Trust me, you won't want to put it down!

5. If you could bring any three fictional characters with you to a deserted island, who would you bring?

Heather Wells from Meg Cabot's "Size 12 Is Not Fat"; Megan Berry from Stacey Jay's "Undead" series and Hadley Bishop from "Life's a Witch."

And now here's the book trailer for What the Spell:

 

7 comments:

  1. The Salem Witch Trials are endlessly fascinating to me so these books sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Salem Witch Trials were so crazy! It still astounds me that something like that was able to happen!

      Delete
  2. Great interview and yep I am always drawn to this time period, what happened was scary and fasinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head. It was both scary and fascinating! It's still hard for me to believe that something could have happened like that!

      Delete
  3. Great interview! The Salem Witch Trials always make for interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I don't really get tired of reading about the trials. They were so scary!!!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...