Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: The Girl On The Cliff by Lucinda Riley

Title: The Girl On The Cliff
Author: Lucinda Riley
Format: ARC
Publisher: Atria
Publish Date: October 30, 2012 (Today!)
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a Historical Fiction fan.
  • You like gothic novels.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Could a secret from 1914 end a century of heartache?

A tiny figure stands at the cliff edge - hair flying in the breeze. Grania Ryan is hypnotised by the enchanting vision, unaware this young girl, Aurora Lisle, will change her life in countless ways. For Grania is suffering and has returned to Ireland and the arms of her loving family, in the hope her wounds might heal.

As their paths begin to entwine, Grania's mother becomes deeply troubled … because almost a century of entanglement has brought nothing but terrible tragedy to their two families.

The past is set to repeat its sorrows. A suitcase hidden in the attic of a magnificent house in London during the First World War is where it all began, but could it now hold the key to ending the heartbreak that has beset the Lisles and the Ryans for so long?"


My Two Cents:

"The Girl on the Cliff" is a book filled with a multi-generational story filled with interwoven characters and family secrets, and even ghosts! When sculptor, Grania, escapes back to her family home in present day Ireland after suffering a miscarriage, she is unaware of the connections between her family and the mysterious Lisle's that her mother seems to harbor a secret hate for. The historical story takes place during World War I and II in Ireland and England.

This is the second book that I have read by Lucinda Riley. I definitely liked this book a little bit better than "The Orchid House." I thought both the historical story and the present day story were a little more well connected to each other. I really like both stories equally. I did like that we found more of the connections between the two families in the present day story. It kind of made things a little bit more of a surprise.

I really enjoyed this story. There is a hint of magical realism to it, which is one of my favorite literary devices. The plot was definitely stand out for me. I love stories that take place in two different times. I think that they can be very difficult stories to pull off. But when they're pulled off, they're great. They are some of my favorite kinds of historical fiction. In the case of "The Girl on the Cliff," it was done really, really well.

At times, this book definitely had sort of a gothic novel type feel, which I loved. It's definitely a great book for a rainy day!

Bottom line: Good historical fiction!


 

5 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this book and have been waiting for the reviews to start appearing...thanks for letting me know that this is one I probably want to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in a request for this one at the library. I'm glad to hear you thought it had a gothic novel feel. Those are my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, i love a book that spans a family and has secrets and ghosts!! I love that you felt it had a gothic feel, this sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed The Orchid House, but the fact you enjoyed this one more has me excited. I hope to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around the blogosphere - and it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy. From your review it sounds kinda like something Susanna Kearsley would write - yay for ghosts and historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...