Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Welcome To Carson Springs by Eileen Goudge

Title: Welcome To Carson Springs
Author: Eileen Goudge
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Open Road
Publish Date: May 15, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the PR; however, this did not affect my review.







Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You've read other books in the Carson Springs trilogy.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "A Hollywood film crew upends life in an idyllic California village in this prequel to the Carson Springs trilogy.

In the late 1950s, filmmakers descended on Carson Springs to shoot the movie that made this sleepy Spanish mission town famous. A plaque commemorates the filming of Stranger in Paradise, but nowhere does it mention Cora Delarosa, whose life changed forever when Hollywood arrived. Barely thirty, but married for over a decade, she does not realize that her marriage is falling apart until she meets the handsome and charming film director Hank Montgomery. In this novella, Eileen Goudge sets the stage for her Carson Springs trilogy, showing that in this small town, passion, heartache, and long-buried secrets have always been a way of life."


My Two Cents:

This very short novella is the prequel to Goudge's Carson Springs books (a trilogy). This book also included the first part of the first book of the series to give you a little taste of what's to come. Also, the book includes a couple recipes of Goudge's own. They all looked delicious, especially the Pina Colada cake. Om nom nom nom.

I find that the issue with some prequels is that sometimes, if they are written after the books that they are prequels for, you feel like you should read the other books in the series first. I sort of felt like this with Welcome to Carson Springs. I was intrigued by the story line but I felt that you didn't really get a chance to connect with the characters. There is a lot of action in this short novella but there isn't a lot of characterization. You're introduced to a lot of different characters quickly, sometimes only by name and brief action, which makes it difficult to keep tabs on who's who.

On the other hand, I was intrigued enough that I would definitely read the trilogy. As I mentioned before, I have not read any of the books in the trilogy but I have a feeling that it might be a good idea to read the other books first!


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...