Saturday, June 30, 2012

Review: That Book about Harvard by Eric Kester

Title: That Book about Harvard
Author: Eric Kester
Format: ARC
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publish Date: July 1, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the PR; however, this did not affect my review.



Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You like memoirs.
  • You love to laugh out loud.
What's the Story?:

From Amazon.com: " One of the most thrilling and terrifying days of your life is the first day of college, when you step onto campus filled with the excitement of all the possibilities ahead—and panic about if you'll make it and how you'll fit in.

Now imagine that same feeling, but you're in the middle of the lawn at the world's most prestigious university.

In your underwear.

Thus begins one of the craziest years ever at Harvard, in which Eric Kester finds himself in a cheating scheme, trying to join a prestigious Finals Club, and falling for a stunning type-A brunette...who happened to be standing there in shock that first day when he made his red-faced stroll across the Harvard Yard.

That Book about Harvard is the hilarious and heartwarming story of trying to find your place in a new world, the unending quest to fit in, and how the moments that change your life often happen in the most unexpected ways."

My Two Cents:

I love just about any book that can make you laugh out loud and this book did that to me a lot. Luckily I was in the safety of my own home with no one to hear me laughing really, really loudly except for my husband and my cats, who are quite used to it, unlike the grumpy people on the Metro.

When Mr. Kester goes to Harvard for football, he knows that he's in for an uphill climb. Harvard has a reputation of being one of the most difficult schools to get into in the country and is known for rigorous classes. Eric knows that he has a lot on his plate. He manages to embarrass himself in the first hours that he's on campus. He gets himself into some hilarious and absolutely ridiculous situations while he's just trying to fit in and look good in front of his fellow Harvard students. All I can say is that at least this guy seems to have a really good sense of humor!!! I would be forever embarrassed but he seems to simply roll with the punches. If you're looking for a book to give you a good laugh, this is the perfect choice!

One of my favorite stories from the book was the one about the NCAA testing and the calculus test with Dr. Phlegm. It's one of those situations that is absolutely hilarious if it happens to another person but red face inducing if it happened to you.

This is a very funny memoir. I loved Kester's writing style. He writes like he's talking to a friend. There are no bars held. This would be a great book for anyone who likes funny memoirs. It could also be a really funny book for anyone in college or who will be going to college. If the new college students have any fears, Kester will alleviate them by making the college students glad that what happened to Kester did not happen to them.

What I really want to know is whether or not Eric ends up with Hannah??? He does say that he wrote this book for a girl, so...

Bottom line: Laugh out loud funny!


 

1 comment:

  1. I love a book that can make me laugh out loud and this one looks great. Adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...