Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: Between the Land and the Sea by Derrolyn Anderson

Title: Between the Land and the Sea
Author: Derrolyn Anderson
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: March 30, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the author. This did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a young adult fiction fan.
  • You like myths.
  • You like fantasy.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Marina is a privileged girl who’s had an unusual upbringing. Traveling the world with her scientist father, doted on by her wealthy and glamorous neighbor Evie, Marina’s life seems perfect.

Everything changes in the summer of her sixteenth year when she is sent to live with her Aunt Abby and Cousin Cruz in the lovely seaside town of Aptos, California. 


Only a few weeks after arriving, sixteen year-old Marina has nearly drowned twice, enchanted the hottest guy in high school, and discovered a supernatural creature. If she can manage to survive some increasingly dangerous encounters with unpredictable mermaids, she might be able to unlock the mystery of her past and appease the mysterious forces that want something from her...
 

And maybe even find true love along the way."

My Two Cents:

Mermaids are awesome! Seriously, seriously awesome. Anderson does a great job of taking the myth of the mermaids and turning it in to a totally new story that's easy to fall in love with. This book is the first in a planned series and I know that I personally am very much looking forward to the next time that I get to meet up with these wonderful characters. I think one of the signs of a good book is when you are excited to see that character again the next time. So many of the characters in this book are that way for me.

This is the kind of book that you sit back and relax with while you get lost in the story. In other words, it's a perfect summer read. This book is geared towards young adults but adults can find a lot to love about it too.

I loved the characters. Marina is awesome. She's independent and self-assured. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go out and explore as we can see with her dealings with the mermaids. I think she's a really good character for young adults especially. I love a good strong character!

The writing is really good and sucks you right in. I think writing a book on a mythological creature that is so well known like a mermaid can be really hard. You have a lot to live up to as an author. Anderson does a great job of changing the myth so it's still super interesting!.

Bottom line: This is a great book with a great story and characters!
 

 

8 comments:

  1. Hello Meg,
    I'm not a YA person, but i FRICKING LOVE mermaids :D
    The only reason I sat through the last Pirates of the Carrebian movie is the mermaids.

    Are these mermaids the Little Mermaid types, or are they vicious man eating sirens? I hope the latter!

    do visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sort of a mix. I would say they lean more towards the Little Mermaid with just a hint of scariness.

      Delete
  2. YA, myth, fantasy AND it's a mermaid book!?! Oh hecks yeah! I'll totally snatch a copy of this for a beach read this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check back on my site later today. The author is doing an unlimited giveaway of this book through Smashwords :)

      Delete
  3. I think that's a great cover for a self-published book. I was drawn to it right away. I've never read anything about mermaids, but it sounds interesting. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the covers for these books. I'm usually not very impressed by a lot of self-published book covers but these are great!

      Delete
  4. Another mermaid story? I'm in! Can't help noticing this mermaid story is also written by an Anderson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, interesting coincidence, no?

      Check my site later today. The author is doing an unlimited giveaway through Smashwords for this book :)

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...