Monday, June 13, 2011

Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Title: Night Road
Author: Kristin Hannah
Publisher: St. Martin's Press



What's the Story?: From Goodreads.com: "For eighteen years, Jude Farraday has put her children’s needs above her own, and it shows—her twins, Mia and Zach—are bright and happy teenagers. When Lexi Baill moves into their small, close knit community, no one is more welcoming than Jude. Lexi, a former foster child with a dark past, quickly becomes Mia’s best friend. Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable.

Jude does everything to keep her kids safe and on track for college. It has always been easy-- until senior year of high school. Suddenly she is at a loss. Nothing feels safe anymore; every time her kids leave the house, she worries about them.

On a hot summer’s night her worst fears come true. One decision will change the course of their lives. In the blink of an eye, the Farraday family will be torn apart and Lexi will lose everything. In the years that follow, each must face the consequences of that single night and find a way to forget…or the courage to forgive."
My Two Cents
This is only about the second book of Hannah's that I've read before and I definitely enjoy her writing. I ate through Night Road. The story focuses on Jude, a self-proclaimed "helicopter mom," her two children, Zach and Mia, and Lexi, a girl who comes into the family's life as Mia's best friend and later Zach's girlfriend. Jude is happy to provide a sort of second home and refuge for Lexi until the accident that shatters the family. 

This book did have some twists and turns that kept me guessing but about the last half of the book was totally predictable and the coincidences just seemed a little bit too unrealistic (Lexi almost becomes a cliche because of her background). Yet I kept reading.  Some of the turns just seemed a little bit too unrealistic and that perhaps took away from the book (I'm trying to refrain from spoilers but what happens to Lexi after the accident just seems to be a chain of events to prove a point.

This predictability is not to say that the book is not enjoyable. It definitely is. I would say that this book is akin to a Lifetime movie where you can predict what's going to happen but you continue to watch just to make sure. 

Bottom line: This book is a good, light read but if you're expecting to have your mind blown or your mind changed, this is probably not the book for you.
My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars



3 comments:

  1. the only Hannah book I've read is Winter Garden, and I just wasn't a fan. don't know if I'll feel the need to pick up another item by her again... thanks for the review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bailey (The Window Seat Reader) I don't think I could read a lot by her but she's good every time I need a light read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was wonderful. Kristin Hannah develops her characters in such a way that while I was reading this book I felt like I knew the characters personally... Like I was standing on the sidelines watching this story play out in real life. I laughed and I cried, I get mad and then I was relieved.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...